Sunday, November 6, 2011

Missionary work in everyday life.

Written by Mom.

While at work one night I was prompted to stay just a little longer.  Not sure exactly why but I did. Working for a high profile real estate community people from all over the world come to see our properties.  A sales group came into my building. As it usually goes, I talk with the visitors and always love hearing where there are from. I guess age and experience adds to the connections that usually happen within the first few sentances of a conversation.  This was no exception.  I asked the couple where they were from and the woman said, "Nagoya Japan". I replied, my son is in Nagoya!  Her eyes got big and for a minute doubted my answer, after all it was a sales tour.  Then she realized I was sincere.  She told me she lived just outside of Ise. As she said that, I got so excited and said, "my son lived there and loves the city so much!" Then she asked the million dollar question. "Why is your son in Japan?"  I said, "he is a LDS missionary".  She got tears in her eyes and pulled me aside. We held hands as we walked to my office. "She said, "I came to Utah knowing I needed to, came here today very reluctant but feeling that I needed to come, I had just heard the tabernacle choir and felt a very good strong feeling, that I needed to find out more about the church. I called my family in Japan and told them to see if they could find the missionaries and now you tell me your son is a Missionary!". 

As we chatted in my office, I showed her pictures of my missionary son. I told her that there is a reason she came to my work today and that we would be friends forever. She gave me her name and address and phone number.  As she left, I knew that both of us were supposed to meet.

I followed up by sending in the referal. Sent my son an email .  My missionary son said he was 4 hours from her but would be in her city for meetings.  He told the mission President about the family. Excited,  he made sure that the missionaries in her area followed up with her and her family. That was two weeks ago.

A follow up to the story tonight as my missionary son wrote in his weekly email.
"The missionaries met with the family. The woman is Korean and was baptized a long time ago but has not been involved with the church for years, she told her family she wants them to be baptized and to all go to church which all came about because she heard the Mormon Tabernacle choir and then met me that same day. "

Truly there is purpose in listening and watching for those moments when someone feels they would like to know more about the church.  Truly everyday we can find these moments and connections as we go about our daily lives sharing our spirit and love for everyone regardless of their current beliefs. For nearly two years now I have had the opportunity to share with people about my missionary son and now, I can share with people about my two missionary sons.  Serving in Japan and in Sweden.


I follow the same advice I tell my missionary sons. Just love people and listen to them.  Missionary work happens in everyday life.

No comments:

Post a Comment