Monday, April 4, 2011

Dog House, Mannish Hair, and South Park

Sorry I had to cut my email short last week. This week we went back to the good email place so we can get more done.
Today Im sending a bunch of pictures. I will explain them too
The first- A house by our church. Covered in dog stuff. I couldnt even capture it all on camera. Also the were some little dogs barking at us through the windows. Hen na Obaachan. We have been handing out a lot of fliers for English class around the churchs neighborhood a lot lately. Even to this house.

Second- "Mannish" It is a hair salon. Kind of funny... There are tons of hair salons in Japan. Most of them have ridiculous names. Also there are tons of bars/snacks(ask dad what that is) that have way funny names too.

Third- A bag I found at the 100yen shop. Theres the Tiger, the chick, the elephant, and the Lame. When we want to buy gifts for people, we go to the 100 yen shop. They basically have everything you could ever want.


Fourth- Maybe you saw a picture like this a year ago. We went to Kaori and Wakabas apartment for some Takoyaki as a district! When I was in Ise we did it all of the time. In this pic:Elder Van Campen, Elder Chumwangwapee, Wakaba, Kaori, and Elder Freeman(Zone Leader).








Fifth- Indian Curry and Naan. Best food in the world. The people from Nepal who work at these restraunts are the most awkward people in the world.

Thats basically how my week went.
Deji, the investigator with a baptismal date for april 16, isnt looking like he will make that date. He had some problems with his wife and she might be divorcing him which is really sad and hasnt been affecting him well. We havent been able to meet him for almost two weeks. We are going to go to his house this week and figure out some concerns though. I hope everything goes well for him.
On a better note. On Thursday this random Japanese kid showed up to English class. He is 23 and said that he wanted to make friends who spoke English because he had lived in Canada for 4 months. I was introducing myself to him and when I said I was from Utah he asked if there are a ton of Mormons there. I said yes, I am a Mormon and this is a Mormon church. He was way surprised and had no idea that he was in a Mormon church. He told me he knew about our religion from watching South Park. Which is cool. He understands that the show exaggerates and makes fun of stuff, but he also said that from watching that he wanted to know more about our church. We ended up teaching him after class and he invited himself to church. He came yesterday, we taught him some more and he loved it! We talked about Baptism and joining our church. He will definitely do it someday, if not this month.
Also, our less-active friend, Marina, has come to church 3 weeks in a row now which is way good. She is the one who works at the Abbey Road restraunt that we always go visit.
Conference is a week later for us because we watch the translated version. But I look forward to watching in on Saturday and sunday in a city called Yokkaichi. Last year I went to the same place because I was in Ise. During conference, all of the English speakers go into a different room than the Japanese so It was basically just 7 missionaries watching it. One of them fell asleep so his companion drew all over his face. When he woke up we all said "Lets hurry and go eat lunch right now so we can make it back on time" So we all left the building without talking to or seeing any of the members. People on the street kept giving the missionary with marker on his face funny looks but he just though it was because he was American. One missionary took a picture of the rest of us with the markered missionary in the middle doing some cool peace sign, totally oblivios. Eventually he caught his reflection in a car window and got mad at everyone. It was kind of funny though. The funny thing is that during the next session, he fell asleep again. this time his companion taped a sign on his back that said in Japanese"I slept during General Conference". When he woke up he went into the bathroom and checked his face. It was fine. So after the session we all went and talked with the Japanese members. Almost all of them saw the sign on his back and thought it was way funny. Nothing like that will happen this year, but it will always be a funny memory.
 Please pray for the people in Japan who have been affected by the recent disasters and please pray for Deji and Daijiro(the kid who came to english class). thanks
Love you. Have a good week.
Ciao ciao
Elder Carr

PS- In Ise we met for church in a house that had been turned into a church. Way small, but it doesnt need to be that big to fit the 17 member branch. Now in Tsu we meet in a little bit bigger, 2 story building. Its still super small and narrow, but we only have about 40 people coming every week.

No comments:

Post a Comment