Sunday, March 13, 2011

Safe From The Quake

Wow. This past week was crazy.
On Friday I was with all of the Zone leaders and District leaders in Nagoya for a training. It started at 9 in the morning, we had a lunch break, then we resumed agin. At about three o'clock(give or take an hour. I dont remember exactly) President Baird asked us to take the time to write down a few things we want to remember about the conference. Everyone was quitely writing stuff down. I had been really tired that day because of lack of sleep the night before. So after I wrote stuff down I rested my head on my hand and closed my eyes. All of the sudden I started to feel really dizzy. I looked up and almost everyone was still writing besides a few people. I looked at Elder Boss sitting next to me. He whispered "earthquake?". All of the sudden everyone else started feeling it too. It felt like the church we were in was slowly rocking back and forth. It went on for about 3 minutes. then stopped. President Baird said "I hope you write that down as something you want to remember. We soon resumed the training again and about 10-20 minutes later we felt it again! Only this time a little lighter. It was way crazy. I have never felt an earthquake before.
   After the training, President Baird got on the phone with someone from the church office in Tokyo saying that the earthquake was huge and is causing a lot of damage in the Sendai area. Some of the Japanese missionaries started crying, but President assured them that it isnt too bad. Some of the missionaries started returning to their areas, but I had to stay because the missionary I was returning home with had stuff he had to do in the mission home. We went up to the mission home and it was a mad house! Phones ringing, President ordering people to do stuff, Japanese missionaries calling their families. It was crazy. We had to call of of the missionaries in Mie-prefecture(my companion and his temporary comp were there), Shizuoka, and a few other area by the ocean, for evacuation. They had to immedietely come to Nagoya where it was safe. I called my comp and Elder Van Campen who were in Tsu at the time and told them to get on the next train to Nagoya because there was a tsunami warning for all of Mie-prefecture. They got on the train and made the 1.5 hour journey up to Nagoya. Right after they got to Nagoya, the train line they took closed and no one could get in or out of Mie on the train. Good thing all of the missionaries made it to Nagoya quickly. All of the missionaries is Shizuoka were called to come to nagoya too. It takes between 3 and 4 hours depending on the area you are in. Some sister missionaries in Shizuoka city had to catch a late night Bullet train because the normal tracks were closed and The freeway traffic was stopped. All of the missionaries in our mission made it to Nagoya and other areas that are away from the Ocean.
  Luckily, tsunamis havent hit any areas in our mission so far. But there is still a small chance with aftershocks that could be coming for the next month or so. Ive seen some news and pictures of the destruction in Sendai area and it really makes me sad. Seeing towns and cities destroyed and hearing about people dead is a pretty sad thing. Especially since those towns are just like towns Im serving in.  
Everyone in our mission is safe. Woooo! I got back to my area on Saturday and its been fine since then. Im sure the mission home is still as hectic as ever though. I cant even imagine what things are like in Sendai mission with missionary apartments destroyed and areas not enterable. Crazy. I will have to write some friends in that mission and see whats up.
  Thats about all of the news with the tsunamis and earthquakes. Apparently the quake we felt in Nagoya was only 3.6 or something. Definitely not as big as 8.9. There was also a little aftershock in Nagano(my mission) that was 6.something.
  Anyway, on to happier news. The 3 day training in Nagoya was good. We stayed each night in a city called Ichinomiya. It was me and 5 other missionaries in one apartment each night. Tons of fun. Elder Boss, Howells, Adachi, Otahara(previous comp) and Momose. 3 foreigners and 3 japanese. On Satuday afternoon, on the way back home to Mie, we stopped in Sakae(a huge district in Nagoya) and ate some lunch. It was so much fun. There were tons of people. It was definitely the biggest city Ive ever been in.
Ive got another training in Nagoya next week which should be fun. I will let you know how everything goes.
Let everyone know Im okay. I did feel the quake though!
Love you all. Keep praying for the Japanese people. I dont know what else there is to do to help.
i will keep you updated.
Love Elder Carr

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you're ok Michael William. :) Be safe and enjoy the rest of your mission. Love you.

    ReplyDelete